This mothers day craft for kids idea is great for a gift for Mother’s day. Mom’s always love home-made gifts, and many moms love gardening. Why not get a two for one with this craft.
We will show you how to turn toilet paper rolls into plant starters.
When gardening you have to wait until the temperature is okay to start.
With this craft you can get the plants started in the house, while you wait for the right weather.
Once the weather is nice, just pop these little guys into the ground! The toilet paper roll is biodegradable so it will just disappear over time.
You can plant these together and watch them grow indoors until the gardening weather comes.
A fun home-made gift, that is also a bit of quality time together gardening. It’s great fun watching how things grow.
Home-made Plant Starters for Mom
There are many varieties of ways you can decorate these, but the general instructions and supplies are the same.
We’ve given the instructions, supplies and a few ideas on how to decorate these great mothers day craft for kids gift.
- Empty toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls (the quantity depends on how many plants you want to grow)
- Construction paper
- Non-toxic marker
Step by Step Instructions:
- Cut your toilet paper roll into pieces, each piece being about 2 inches wide. With a toilet paper roll, you would get two pieces or with a paper towel roll you can get about 4.
- Design each piece as you wish. *see below for a few of ideas we’ve come up with.
- Place them all on a plate or baking tray.
- Fill each with soil.
- Place a seed in each holder.
- Put the tray or plate in a sunny area, and watch your plants grow.
Once the weather is right, all you need to do is dig a small hole in your garden, and place one of these in each hold.
Make sure to keep the sprout and top of the holder above ground.
The toilet paper roll will eventually disintegrate and your plants will have a head start this year!
Here’s a Few Design Ideas:
Seeds for Mom’s New Plant Starters
So you’ve made mom a bunch of these cute plant starters, now we need seeds to fill them with. Here’s some awesome starter packs… gives you all the seeds you need for herbs, vegetables or even a butterfly garden!
How to Give as a Gift:
When giving this to mom for Mother’s day you have a few options:
- Plant all mom’s favourite flowers and display it on a nice colored tray.
- Leave them empty and just put them in a basket with a variety of seeds. This makes for a fun day of indoor planting.
Mom’s can never get enough of home-made gifts, and if mom is a gardening type of mom… she will LOVE these. She will want some every year.
This mothers day craft for kids is very simple to make, but will be so precious to mom!
More Crafts for Mom
Mother’s Day Breakfast in Bed: Some cute printables to color and give to mom to show her how much you love her. This is a fun door hanger she can place her breakfast order and ensure she is not disturbed.
I love my Mommy Because…: This fun printable gives you a place to write down all those reasons you love your mom!
More Mother’s Day Crafts: Check out the rest of the Mother’s day crafts our Critters have created.
Easy Crafts for Kids is social too! Be sure to join us and keep up to date on what the Crafty Critters are up to: